4.02.2009

Your Significant Other Will Not Thank Me For This.

I love Greek food and have never been able to get my tzatziki the way I like it - the way it is in restaurants.

Until now.

I have unlocked the secret...

Greek yogurt.

Since I've cracked this recipe, I've been walking around sweating garlic. You know, when you burp garlic for days...you brush your teeth a trillion times and your sweetie still recoils in horror? Yeah, like that.

It is SO worth it.

Here's the recipe. It's so easy.

You'll need:

1 pint Greek yogurt - yes, it does come in fat free
1 large clove garlic, grated on a microplane (NOT the whole head, you don't want to kill anyone)
1/2 English cucumber, grated with a cheese grater (I prefer English or Persian to plain old cukes with seeds - but they'll do in a pinch)
1 T fresh dill, roughly chopped (or you can skip it you're not big on dill)
Sea salt to taste

Mix it all together and let it marinate in the fridge for a bit, at least an hour.

Eat with grilled chicken, on a Greek salad, on a pita, off the spoon.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

HA HA!! I JUST made tzatziki this week and I am burping up garlic as I write this (had a little leftover just now with garlic naan from TJ's) I make it about the same but usually with regular yogurt. Just this week I finally got the greek stuff!!! (jinx you owe me a coke!) and it DEFINITELY makes the dip soooo much tastier! My dinner guest said he would be happy eating it like soup.