8.01.2009

Doggy Family Tree


If you read much, you probably have figured out I have a love/hate relationship with our dogs. Mostly hate. Except I have to admit that when B was out of town, I very much appreciated the extra security.

We know Carl is a purebred Golden Retriever. We have a genealogy chart and everything. Plus, I think he is horribly inbred, if not simply from the fact that he is dumb as a box of rocks, but also all his many hereditary 'issues'.

Sadie, on the other hand, is some kind of mixed breed monstrosity. When we rescued her (I say rescued because ohmylord the place she came from was heinous), we were told Husky and Golden Retriever. Now, having actually owned a Golden, we know there is no way she has one trace of that breed running through her veins. The Husky is obvious, but the rest is a mystery.

We've hypothecated Border Collie, as they are known for their incessant obnoxiousness and need to be busy at all times. Our vet thought maybe German Shepard for her coloring. My guess was a descendant of Cujo.

So I have to admit I was very intrigued when watching the local news the other night and a story came on about doggy DNA testing.

You heard me.

The prices range greatly, but most land around $100. A completely frivolous spend, but I am SO tempted.

Maybe I'm hoping that some breed will pop up on the test that will explain everything. The big AHA! But I'm guessing the test doesn't detect Hellhound.

No comments: