3.11.2009

You Capture: Week Three - Texture

This week's challenge? Texture.
I found capturing texture to be a bit difficult. It really made me want a better camera! But, I pushed through and this is what I came up with:



This is a knick-knack I inherited from my Great-Grandma. I used to stare at this thing for hours. I come from a fishing family and spent many years up in Southeast Alaska, and this piece reminds me of some remote fisherman's cabin. I believe it is made out of tin - I love how it has oxidized over the years. Plus, if you look really closely, you can see the texture of dust, because I am NOT a good housekeeper.



We moved into our house a few years ago and last summer had our floors refinished. We left the bedrooms unfinished because we were intending on carpeting - though my current employment situation has caused us to hold off for a while. At the top of the frame, the original 1961 oak floors, at the bottom, our new refinished floors.



Finally, the texture that my son really digs. His silky/fuzzy blankie. The edges are already snagged and getting worn from being chewed. He is our little Linus!

So, which one is my favorite? Obviously I love chubby little toddler hands, but I'm going to have to go with the tin fishing house. It was really difficult to get the right light - I ended up turning off the flash and opening the blinds to get a ton of natural light.

Thanks for stopping by and checking out my textures! For more on texture, click on over to I Should Be Folding Laundry.

6 comments:

IE Mommy Blogger said...

The knick-knack is a cool shot. Thanks for sharing! Swing by The IE Mommy to see my entry for You Capture.

Rosina said...

LOVE the little hand!!!

Unknown said...

love baby hands....and then you add the snuggly blanket too...THAT ONE IS MY FAV!

good job.

Bacardi Mama said...

I love the baby hand. Just too cute.

Beth at I Should Be Folding Laundry said...

Such a good job. I love the tin, that's not easy to photography.

The baby hands are so adorable.

Crazy Babs said...

Great captures! The house is so cool! You can feel with your eyes the rough parts and the smoothness of the copper. Nice captures!