3.10.2009

Tightwad Tuesday: Dying Veggies

Confession time: I'm awful at using all the produce I buy. I stock up on all kinds of fresh veggies with the best of intentions, but eventually find them at the bottom of the produce drawer turning into a science experiment.

Yesterday, I was cleaning out my fridge and getting irritated with myself. There was lot in there that was just going to waste - wilting celery, bags of carrots that were looking a bit dry, half a bell pepper that was a little mushy (not rotten yet) in some areas. All of the vegetables were still edible, but would not taste so great fresh.

So, I made soup.

Soup is a great way to use up all the vagabond stuff in your fridge - not just veggies. Half a carton of chicken broth? Chicken carcass? Half and half you never got around to using (not rotten of course!)? All can go into a soup of some sort.

Yesterday, I pulled out my trusty Joy of Cooking and cobbled together this recipe, I call it:

Waste Not Lentil Soup (ha)

2 Tb Olive Oil
2 medium carrots, diced
2 medium celery stalks, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves chopped garlic
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup lentils, rinsed and picked over
1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes with liquid (I was out so I substituted 1 small can of tomato sauce and a few handfuls of chopped up grape tomatoes that were going soft)
1 tsp thyme

Heat the olive oil and add the carrots, celery, bell pepper, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring until tender, about 5-10 minutes. Add the broth, lentils, tomato products and thyme.

Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 45 minutes.

That's it - I served mine with shredded Parmesan on top. This freezes well too - throw in the microwave for a quick lunch - and save money on takeout!

There are many more Tightwad Tips over at Being Frugal. Check them out!

2 comments:

Money Jenny said...

Funny. I just posted Sunday some of my dried up grapes and tomatoes tricks. Way to get frugal, Pony. Now I'm off to seed the economy with my lunch money.

Money Jenny said...

Oh, and that's with cash as my debit card was stolen in a big nationwide merchant hack.