Two Years Ago Today: Part I

Two years ago today, I was very pregnant.

I told you. VERY PREGNANT. Ouch. Just looking at that photo makes my lower back hurt and my feet swell up.

That morning, I had a doctor's appointment where I was told I was 1 centimeter and 50% effaced.

'When?' I practically begged.

To which my doctor cheerfully replied 'Could be up to one or two weeks. We will induce you in two weeks if you haven't delivered.'

I have never been so irrationally angry in my life. I had high hopes. I'd had a weird crampy stomachache all morning - the drive to the doctor was particularly uncomfortable. Since I'd had no Braxton Hicks the entire pregnancy, I wasn't sure if that's what I was experiencing.

After getting dressed in my horrid gray velour sweatsuit (the only thing that fit me), I stormed out to my car and proceeded to call my husband, sobbing.

He didn't seem phased. I think he was used to his crazy pregnant wife at this point.

I calmed down, went and got a latte and a scone, and started feeling a little better. And incredibly nesty.

First stop, Lowes. I picked up light bulbs because I remembered we had a bunch of lights that had burned out in the house.

Next, Fred Meyer, where I picked up some totally unnecessary jammies for the baby, and stuff for dinner. I was making tater tot casserole (don't judge!), one for that night and one to freeze.

Once home, I proceeded to act like a total freaking nutjob and, on a ladder, 10 months (YES, 40 weeks is TEN months) pregnant, changed out about 12 can lights. Stupid? Totally. Did I feel like if I didn't change the light bulbs, the world would come to an end? Yes.

My mom dropped by with a glider rocker she'd picked up off of Craigslist, which was the final piece of the nursery. We unpacked a bunch of baby gear, put it away and she took care of the mountain of cardboard for me - cause if she didn't, I would have been outside in the freezing cold breaking down the cardboard with a box knife.

The whole time she was there, I was whining and crying to her. So pleasant!

She left, I cooked dinner, and froze the extra casserole. B was home soon after, and we ate - it was about 8 pm.

I wasn't feeling so hot, so I decided to sit in the tub. I got in at about 8:30. At 10:30, B came in and woke me up. The water was cold. And I felt awful.

Twenty minutes later, I was in the worst, gripping pain I'd ever had in my life. And the casserole? Yeah, that was spewed all over the bathroom.

By midnight, I had called the doctor and confirmed I was in fact, in labor. B did not know how to time contractions (we never took classes, doh!), but we figured the hospital was a good place to be, so he packed up the car, and we were off ...

Scary how vivid that memory is - but then again, I was embarking on the most amazing, rewarding journey.

More tomorrow!


*Lissa* said...

Love that photo!

Good thing you got those lightbulbs changed, hooker. ;p

CraftGirlAlli said...

I love reading about everyone else's experience! Can't wait to read the rest of it!

Andrea said...

So, you live in a 13 month year? :)

All I can think of is "fat guy in a little coat..."

~Mendie~ said...

oh you look so cute...yet miserable! no wonder your back hurt...that little guy took up a lot of space!

Heather D said...

Andrea - yes, I guess I do. When you are pregnant, 40 weeks IS 10 months. No, make that an eternity!

That coat was hilarious. We should have taken a picture!

Elaine A. said...

Yeah... you don't look so happy in that picture. But I do love your big, beautiful belly!

Melissa said...

Wow, it seems just like yesterday. I remember how incredibly uncomfortable you were and how you were so ready to be done! I loved reading this - it's amazing how good your memory is. Even though it seems like it was just yesterday, so much has happened since then. I loved reading about your nesting - it's so funny how when you're pregnant you think that if you don't get something done, like NOW, it really will be the end of the world and it will never get done. I hope you have a very joyful day tomorrow and of course, I wish G a very happy 2nd birthday! xoxo

Andrea said...

If it makes you feel better, I tried to wear it when I was pregnant with Maggie and it had the same effect on me. :)