5.26.2009

Second Chances

Facebook, though some days I really hate it because it sucks away at my time, can be quite a wonderful thing.

It's put me in touch with so many people that I'd lost contact with. The chance to interact as grown ups, rather than teenagers. It's such a different, SUCH A BETTER, experience.

A month or so ago, someone I'd lost contact with over ten years ago found me. She was my first college roommate. We lived together in the dorms and, for a short time, in a little apartment off campus. We had crazy fun together. It was the first time away from home for both of us. We shared so much in that short time. And then, no contact.

I didn't think I'd ever talk to her again. Because we had a falling out.

The funny thing is, I'm not sure why. I honestly can't remember. And she doesn't remember either. She had an awful car accident about a year after we stopped speaking and I guess it affected parts of her memory.

So here we are, over ten years later, with a second chance at our friendship. When I saw her name come across as a friend request, my heart kind of ached. In a good way. Like it was swelling up and sighing with happiness.

Forgiveness, even if you're not sure what for, is such a relief. Letting go of old anger and pent up resentment feels like a fog is lifting.

And second chances ... they SURE are sweet.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I agree with you Heather. It is nice to interact with people now that we are adults. I was a brat growing up and I feel really bad about things I did and said to people as a teenager. I was so insecure.