5.17.2009

Please Don't Go - Ode to the Afternoon Nap

I am sitting in the office listening to G go back and forth between hysterics and talking to his stuffed cat in his crib.

Its nap time, and these days, a nap is no longer a given. Especially afternoon nap. I'm not sure if it's because we in the midst of teething hell (four molars at once) or if he's just getting to the point where he feels he no longer requires the afternoon nap.

And if that's the case, I have to strongly disagree. In fact, I think the afternoon nap is QUITE necessary.

I'll be honest. Yes, it does help his mood in the evening, but I'm telling you, I NEED IT. There is a marked difference between one nap and two nap days. On two nap days, the house is cleaned, dinner is prepared and I've had a chance to read or bathe. Two naps are the way forward.

One nap sucks. One nap means I've either exhausted myself trying to do as many chores as possible, as quietly as I can manage, within a one and a half hour period of time. I'm sweaty and tired. And if the afternoon nap does not happen, I stay that way. Or, if I've wasted the morning nap doing something for myself, the house looks hideous.

There is no evening cocktail, slippers and perfectly made up wife at the door when B comes home from work.

Okay, that NEVER happens. But you get my point.

Afternoon nap, I love you. Please don't leave me. I can't go on without you in my life!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm sorry Heather. I'm sure it's very frustrating. I don't know what I'd do without naptime. I depend on it. We only do one now and it's in the middle of the day, but it's long. Kids are so different and I wish there was a magic answer because mommy's really need their "me" time. At least you know that G has 4 molars coming in. This morning I reached into A's mouth to see if she has any teeth coming in and it turns out that she also has 4 molars coming in and an eye tooth. Aren't I an award winning mother?!? Anyway, here's to hoping that if he drops his afternoon nap, that he will eventually sleep longer during his first nap!! Or even longer at night!

the story of my life... said...

We are at one nap a day...11:30-12:30 depending on the day...bedtime is sometimes 6:30 becasue of this...but try to cram all housework into the morning..and dinner prep and then enjoy naptime and play time when he wakes..you will find that one nap can bring up to 3-4 hours of naptime. Not everytime but it will happen...all 3 kids have been the same...If he acts really tire din the morning I push it till at least 11;30...you have to set the schedule to what works for you...keyword "YOU" set the schedule. carter has been on one nap since he was about 6 months old.