11.16.2009

Next Time, I Promise.

Yeah, I know I said I was going to be all positive and bubbly and a ray of light after Friday. I know, I know.

And for the most part, I have been. I had an amazing weekend. On Saturday we enjoyed being a family again, just B, G and I, for the first time in a few months. I made a special dinner (lobster and lots of cocktails). We watched a movie. We enjoyed the comfort of our silence and not having to talk all the time.

Sunday was also wonderful. We had a fun-filled day with B's older sister and her family, who we haven't seen for a while. A trip to visit Santa and some real reindeer (and a camel), then my sister-in-law and I helped our younger sister-in-law register for her baby girl that's due in March, and then back home, where we had a nice, relaxed dinner and movie night.

Blissful.

Today, well, was fine too. Normal. I had a run, did some chores, hung with G and B.

Then we got a call. And we were informed that the person that we opened our home to, who I cared for for two months, who I listened to non-stop, who I watched smoke during her entire LUNG CANCER TREATMENT, has gone back to the other part of the family and has commenced talking smack about us.

Example 1: B and I are not good parents. G is a spoiled brat. This one is almost - no IS - laughable, considering who she is comparing us to.

Example 2: Apparently I did nothing but slam the rest of the family to her the entire time she was here. Which is funny, because I never brought them up. Once. She did. Every 30 seconds.

OH. MY. PHYSICAL. LORD. Who does that? WHO DOES THAT? I feel dirty and used and disgusting. UGH.

Call Dr. Phil. For reals. I feel like my life has morphed into a bad episode of Dr. Phil.

So, out with the bad, in with the good. We've pretty much been beaten about by these people emotionally and mentally for the last few months. We decided tonight the holidays will be drama free - basically meaning we won't be seeing that part of the family.

And instead of gifts for them, I'm making a donation to the American Cancer Society. So I can funnel some of this soul rotting ugliness into something good for someone else.

They say no good deed goes unpunished. In this case, truer words were never written.

5 comments:

Mendie said...

Oh Heather...that is just crazy! I can't believe after the kindness that you showed to that person...they just stuck a knife in your back. So Sorry you guys had to deal with that.

You obviously are the bigger person and will be blessed because you did the right thing. Karma will treat you well.

Unknown said...

WOW...I guess the bad apple wasn't so far from the tree all along. No longer wondering where the bad one got it from...still amazed that the good apples are so great! Good riddance and here's to a much more enjoyable Holiday Season without crappy apples:)

*Lissa* said...

Man, that has got to hurt. What an ungrateful wench.

You are a good person with a good heart, and don't deserve that!

I can speak from my own personal experience with my awful in-laws... keeping a distance is a very, VERY good thing. ;o)

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness, honey. That's horrible. But what a wonderful way to turn it into something positive. Make that donation and be done with it!

Melissa said...

I'm sorry, Heather. You must be really hurt, especially after all that you have done. And it's especially hurtful when someone criticizes your parenting skills or your child. Continue to be the bigger person and rise above it. Try not to get wrapped up in the negativity and drama. Good things come to good people. Big hug to you!