11.07.2009

Deck the #*@& Halls.

This morning, while preparing breakfast for G, I found myself singing Christmas songs. It started with Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, then Frosty, followed by a rousing rendition of Jingle Bells. While many may find this normal round this time of year, for me, it's downright bizarre.

Why? I really do not like the holiday season.
There. I said it. I'm a complete 'Bah Humbug.' I wasn't always this way, but over the last ten years or so, it's slowly but surely happened. Between too many family engagements, expectations, bratty kids who open your gift and chuck it to the side for the next, I've seriously gone to the dark side.

Maybe it's because the holiday season is shoved down your throat starting in, say, September? Or watching people who clearly cannot afford lavish presents go into serious debt to keep up appearances?

So honestly, I probably don't dislike the 'ideals' surrounding the holidays. I actually quite like the fuzzy, snuggly warm stuff that goes along with Christmas. I love the food. I love visiting with relatives.

Unfortunately, it seems that our holidays have become consumed with schedules. Trips to the mall where you literally get hip checked while browsing because you're not moving fast enough. I can't enter a mall this time of year without breaking a sweat. People are angry and frantic. So much for a peaceful and joyous holiday, right?

I have so many wonderful memories of Christmas as a kid. Decorating sugar cookies (eating frosting, mostly). Mom and Dad pulling out the huge bins of decorations and spending a whole Sunday decorating and slowly mulling over each piece, because they all had a memory attached. Going up to the woods and cutting down a tree.
Watching 'A Christmas Story' (okay, I still do that).

It makes me wonder if my parents felt like I do and just sucked it up to make us happy? I so very much want my child to have wonderful holiday memories. Not necessarily of things, but of time spent together.

I'm thinking the involuntary singing of Christmas songs this morning could be me subconsciously attempting to get into the holiday spirit, for the kiddo. Who knows? Maybe I'll even feel like decorating the house this year. Clark Griswold style.

Next thing you know I'll be wearing this:


And at that point, you have my permission to kick my ass.

6 comments:

Christie O. said...

seriously that's HOT! hahaha! I know what you mean. Last year, everyone was tight on money and we decided that we wouldn't do presents, we'd just bake for each other.

well a lotta good that did because all of a sudden, i'd hear from my sister that my parents were buying me this, so then i started trying to think about what to get them and then my sister was talking to my parents about what to get me and yada yada yada we were all back to our normal overspending naughty habits.

my dream would be to take the money for presents and everyone go on a cruise and buy no presents.

Jenn said...

If you end up being in need of a nasty Christmas sweater just call Tiff... she scours goodwill and lists them on Ebay. You would be amazed how well she does on those sweaters.

I am with you on the present's and money spent... I love having a reason to shop (I try to keep my alter shopaholic ego hidden as much as possible) but holiday shopping always ends up making me grumpy too because of all the frazzled and rude people.

The only holiday shopping I look forward to is on Black Friday because Tiff and I stay up all night, drink way too many mochas and have fun chatting with the other crazy people standing in a line at 4am. The craziest of days doesn't make me grumpy at all... there is too much to talk and laugh about. :)

I too hope that K will grow up remembering Christmas for the traditions, family and togetherness.

Jo said...

Save that sweater for an Ugly Sweater party (or sell it on Ebay!). We go to one every year (it's a lot of fun), and I'm telling you, that sweater is a WINNER.
I'm totally with you on the frustration with the hype, the crazy schedule, the over spending, the hip checking at the mall. We make a concerted effort in our family to just to do a few simple (and hopefully meaningful) traditions like cutting down a tree and setting up a Christmas train. We also REALLY limit the gifts.
In the meantime, I still throw up a little bit in my mouth when I hear a Christmas song playing the first week of Nov.

the story of my life... said...

Dude..My tree is up. Long story but I can home yesterday and the boys had the frigin tree up!!

Anonymous said...

I knew there was a reason I liked you. I hate how the TOTALLY skip over Thanksgiving and go straight to Christmas at all the stores.

If I find out you are wearing anything even RESEMBLING that sweater, I will grab my headband and tube socks and catch the next flight out to KICK YOUR ASS!

Now go get your coal bag ready.

Andrea said...

We went the route of donating in people's names last year for Christmas and actually had one relative getting VERY upset that we didn't give her a "real" present. She didn't talk to us for probably 8 months. Um, yah. Anyway, it was totally worth it. I'd rather a kid in Africa got a school uniform and some food than she got something she doesn't need. You know. Who cares what they all expect. Do what you need to do.