2.14.2009

A Food Winner (Alternate Title: How Many Times Can I Write Balls in One Post?)

Being a SAHM (stay at home mom or sweet ass hot mama) has it's benefits. One being I can actually dabble more in scratch cooking, which I really enjoy. I've decided to hone my mad skillz on my poor son.
G has moved into this stage where he refuses to be fed but is pretty unsuccessful with flatware. He'll get a bite or two in then use his spoon as a drum stick (the drum kind, not the chicken kind) or a utensil to feed the dogs. So I've been trying to come up with healthy finger foods - though some days chicken nuggets from the freezer are mighty tempting - for me and him. Man, I love breaded chicken. Okay, breaded anything.
The last two days I've had some success. Here's one: Sweet Potato and Chicken Balls. I need a better name for them, but it'll have to do for now.

You'll need:

1/2 large sweet potato, cubed
1 medium russet potato, cubed
2 Tb butter (unsalted or salted, your choice)
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced
1 carrot, shredded or diced
1/2 small onion, diced
flour, for breading
oil (I used olive, you can use that or vegetable)

Put the potatoes in a pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Boil for 12-15 minutes, or until they're mash-able. Drain, and mash with 1/2 the butter.

In a skillet, saute the onion and carrot in a bit of oil till they start to soften. Add the chicken and cook till done, about 10 minutes, depending on how small you chopped it.

Process the cooked chicken mixture in a food processor and add the chicken mixture to the potato mixture. Form the mixture into little balls about the size of large marbles. Dip the little balls into the flour to lightly coat.

Heat a skillet with butter and oil (oil has a higher smoke point and will help the butter from burning). Place the breaded balls into the pan and brown on all sides. Drain on a paper towel. Cool a bit and serve. These also freeze well - freeze them on a cookie sheet before transferring to a freezer bag.

PS. These are good for adults too. I ate a few for lunch with some salad.
PPS. You can also do these as mini pancakes. But then you don't get to say BALLS.

No comments: