8.15.2008

Great Food Friday - Quick & Easy

Most of my cooking these days has become 'quick & easy' out of necessity. I want to spend as much time with the kiddo as I can and he's not a fan of the kitchen (he has a special distaste for the food processor).

I promised Andrea I wouldn't post any recipes with cream of mushroom soup (and I have oh so many), so I decided to post a recipe I ran across earlier this summer and is great to make ahead and eat for days.

Hot and Cold Sesame Noodles

1 box spaghetti (I use whole wheat, it has a good nutty flavor)
1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
1/4 rounded cup smooth peanut butter (microwave for 15 seconds to soften)
2 tablespoons cider or rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
2 tablespoon hot sauce (whatever you like, I used Franks - you know, the hot wing sauce)
2 cups shredded cabbage and carrot mix (buy it in the bag, pre-shredded)
1/2 red pepper, julienned
1 cup bean sprouts
3 green onions, chopped at an angle
crushed peanuts or sesame seeds to garnish

In a large bowl, whisk together the tamari, peanut butter, vinegar, oil and hot sauce. Boil the noodles to al dente, drain and shock with cold water to halt cooking process. Dump the noodles and all the veggies in to the bowl on top of the dressing. With clean hands (this is the easiest, I swear) toss all the ingredients together. Chill before serving. This is good with shredded chicken for a quick meal on a warm day. It holds up in the fridge (covered) for a good 4 days, if it lasts that long.

No comments: