8.09.2008

Good Food Friday: Cookies

Let it be known that my husband's nickname for me is Cookie Monster. I had a Cookie Monster coat (complete with blue fur and googly eyes) as a child and my first birthday cake was - wait for it - Cookie Monster. I have a problem with cookies. I actually try not to make cookies too often because I can polish off a batch by myself in one sitting. Ugly.
That said, I did actually make cookies twice in the last few weeks. The first batch I made to take on vacation - and they were very well received. I made the much praised/hyped/blogged about New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookies. The best chocolate chip cookies ever? Hmmmm. Maybe. They were delicious. I used the darkest chocolate chips I could find (no, I didn't order the specialty chocolate disks from Jacques Torres!), but I think the thing that puts these over the top is the sprinkling of sea salt ...delicious. They're a bit labor intensive (the dough needs to be chilled for at least 24 hours) but I would give them a try, or at least sprinkle some sea salt on your next batch of Toll House.
For my dad's birthday last week, I made cranberry white chocolate oatmeal cookies. I find white chocolate overly sweet, but the the tart dried cranberries cut the sweetness perfectly.

White Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies

2 sticks butter
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cups white chocolate chips
1 cup dried cranberries

Heat oven to 350. Beat together butter and sugars till creamy; add eggs and vanilla, mix well. Combine flour, baking soda and salt, then add to wet mixture. Mix well. Stir in oats, cranberries and white chocolate chips - mix well. Drop by rounded tablespoonful onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10 - 12 minutes till golden brown. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet, remove to cooling rack. Yields approximately 4 dozen (3 dozen if you have a problem with dough like I do).

Happy Baking!
xoxo Cookie Monster

No comments: